Chado serves as an excellent, highly-normalized community derived data storage schema. However it suffers from a few primary challenges:
- Its normalized design helps maintain data integrity, but can cause some queries to be quite slow, especially when multiple tables with many records are joined during querying.
- It does not store all biological data.
- Chado typically provides property and linking tables for most major tables. However not all linking or property tables have been enumerated.
Tripal provides two mechanisms to help extend Chado in order to overcome slowness and the extend Chado by adding linker, property tables and new tables:
- An Interface for construction of "materialized views"
- An interface for construction of "custom tables"
Instructions for creating materialized views and custom tables is forthcoming...